Saturday, May 3, 2008

Hike Up Monk's Hill - Saturday, 3 May 08

A nice hour long hike up Monk's Hill seemed like a great way to start the weekend. I was reassured that it wasn't a bad climb and the view would be worth it; both were true.
Our hiking crew for the day (L-R) Jimmy, Will, Patti, Bill, Patty and Justin. This was taken at the top of the "hill" in front of the entrance to a fort that once covered the entire top.
I'm told that the greenish color in the stone is caused by the copper content in the stone. It really adds an interesting look to the old structures.
As promised, there would be a great view. Behind me is Farmouth Harbour. The small harbor behind it is English Harbour. Since I'm a big chicken when it comes to heights this was as close to the wall edge I would go (and I was pretty apprehensive to sit there).
A nice touch of color adorned this tree protruding from one of the ruins. There's always something flowering on the island!
Another structure was actually in pretty good condition for being very old. Here's the arched doorway that lead to a small entrance and then into a larger open area.

No comments: