Thursday, July 31, 2008

My Hometown - Wabeno, WI - Monday, 30 Jun 08

My hometown is a very small town in northern Wisconsin in the heart of Nicolet National Forest. It's a place for tourism all year round.
The town was founded as a logging/farming community. In the small park in the center of town "Larry The Logroller" stands about 30' tall near a historical steam engine.
The Logging Museum provides an array of information about the town of Wabeno and it's evolution over the years.
A tiny church stands on a small plot of land adjacent to Main Street.
Our Public Library is an old log building which also stands adjacent to Main Street, very near the small church. The town is approx 1.5 miles long and maybe 1 mile wide with a population that may reach 600. The homes I grew up in were 6 and 10 miles outside of this tiny little town.

3 comments:

Silent Ghost said...

Oh, beautiful place. There is a lot of green.

Ron Hager said...

I was raised in Wabeno and it is my home town too. Growing up in the 40's all of the sidewalks downtown were wooden with hitching rails for horses. We had more bars in town than grocery stores. In the summer we cut up old inner tubes and made rubber guns and slingshots. Fishing was easy, just walk to the river or creek and put a line in the water. In less than an hour you had enough for dinner. When I was in 8th grade I went to the library one evening and had to rescue the librarian because a bat had flown down the fireplace chimney. I trapped it between a broom & dustpan and let it go outside. I like to say that I was raised by the entire town since most of the adults there either smacked me or scolded me, and my mom approved and encouraged them to do it.

Ray said...

I live in and love the town of Wabeno.
I grew up here and am proud of the history this town has.
There are still more taverns than anything else.