Sunday, April 5, 2009

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow - Monday, 2 Mar 09

I was told that winter doesn't really arrive here until January. Cooler temps could be expected starting in Oct, but the snowy season held off a few more months. Even with that, I wasn't expecting a dump of snow in March.
The first six inches were already on the ground when I got up around 5am. I figured I should be up early enough to shovel out before heading to work. About an hour and a half later I had my drive and sidewalk cleared as well as my elderly neighbors too. As you can see, by the time I was done enough snow had fallen to afford another clearing.

I didn't know until I was half way to work that they closed the base due to the weather. I promptly turned around and returned home to enjoy multiple more occasions to be outside shoveling away what continued to accumulate over the remainder of the day.
Between shovelings it was nice to sit inside and watch the snow fall. It was a heavy, wet snow with minimal wind, so it clung to everything and piled up easily.
Another shot from the patio door of the snow covering everything.
The plow truck went through once late in the morning to give a single pass for cars. It was late afternoon by the time any clearing was being done. Since my neighborhood has several cul-de-sacs and circles they just piled the snow in the centers of each and left it there to melt. It only took a few sunny days for the piles to go away.

1 comment:

The Adventure said...

WOW! We did get two snows this year in Alabama...one was a skif and the other was a good 3-4 inches, it only lasted until shortly after lunch, but it was fun for the boys! Looks like we will be getting snow of our own next year as I got a follow-on to Colorado Springs! If you want to come out skiing, let us know. We are still waiting for hard orders, but we will be living back in our house (with a "guest suite" in the basement) hint hint. Hope all is well, and good to see you back up on the blog. When are you scheduled to deploy again?

-J